Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fun in the Kitchen

Okay. So, today's run was nice and easy. The wife and I went for a quick jog around the neighborhood. She's been under the weather and is just easing back into things so that she can run in the Get in Gear 5K in a couple of weeks. I didn't mind cutting back a little for today because I'll have a hefty bike tomorrow afternoon in Madison We did 2.32 miles in 28:30. It wasn't a blistering pace, but I can think of worse ways to enjoy the beautiful weather.

But I don't want to write about my workout today. The main story today is my first attempt at a Bacon Explosion for my buddy Doc's bachelor party this weekend. Let's get started now shall we.

First I got together my ingredients.
2 pounds of thick-cut bacon
2 pounds of loose Italian sausage
1 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Some of my own special BBQ Rub
1/4 of an onion.
The next step was laying out a 12 inch by 12 inch lattice of bacon. In my case, that meant a 7 slice by 7 slice pig blanket.

Now, let's spread on some of my special rub.

Over the top of the rub goes the 2 pounds of Italian sausage (mild Italian - we are in the Midwest you know) patted down into a ginormous patty.
Patty-Pig Patty-Pig...

The remaining bacon goes in the frying pan for the next step.

It's a labor of love...love of BACON

Not a chance dog.

The crispy bacon gets broken up and added on top of the sausage, along with some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.

And chopped onion...

Beg all you want, it ain't gonna happen.

The sausage/crispy bacon/onion blanket gets rolled into a tight log.



Then wrap the log in the bacon-lattice
Almost Done...


Tuck in the corners, and you're good to go.

It's all for you Doc. See you in 24 hours buddy.



No comments:

Post a Comment