Sunday, March 6, 2011

100 Things

This post is a bit of a milestone for me.  Believe it or not, this will be my 100th entry.  Yeah, I know.  You'd think that by now I would have run out of things to talk about.  Guess again.  To celebrate my 100th post, here are 100 things about me that you may already know (but probably don't).

1.  Boxers.
2.  I met my wife on the dance floor of  The Wild Onion after one too many Mike's Hard Lemonades.
3.  I tell my grandmother that I met my wife at 'an eating establishment'.
4.  My first ever training run was for Nordic Skiing practice in the 8th grade.
5.  I did my first ever training run in a cotton t-shirt, basketball shoes and jeans.
6.  I ran cross country for 4 years and was a middle-of-the-pack-er.
7.  My best 5K time in high school was 19:30.
8.  I'd pay real money to run that 'slow' again.
9.  I was an above average Nordic Skier (skate skiing) and even scored an All Conference nod one year.
10.  My coldest skiing practice ever was -24 degrees BEFORE windchill.
11.  Frostbite on your junk is no joke.
12.  Seriously.
13.  I cry every time I watch The Iron Giant, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Toy Story 2 and Snoopy Come Home.
14.  I also tear up to U2's 'Beautiful Day', Kenny Rogers' 'Coward of the County' and Widor's 'Toccata'.
15.  I love my Rusty Steed - my bike.  It's a Trek 1500 Franken-bike that's been tortured and twisted to get me into something that resembles a proper aero position.

16.  Going fast on a crappy bike is cool.
17.  I'm saving up for a new steed - a proper triathlon bike.  So far, it's a choice between these three:

18.  Musically speaking, I was born in the wrong decade.  Everyone knows that rock peaked in 1974.
19.  I've been a fan of Simon and Garfunkel (but mostly Simon) since high school
20.  I'll take Captain Picard over Captain Kirk any day of the week.
21.  I attended college at the University of Wisconsin in Green Bay.
22.  I started college with a major in Photography just as everyone was switching from film to digital.  Ugh.
23.  I graduated with a Major in Communications, and minors in Political Science and Information Science.
24.  You aren't going to get rich quick with a Communications Major and minors in Poli-Sci and Information Science.
25.  I kinda wish I had earned a degree in a more marketable skill. 
26.  I believe in 'Working to Live' rather than in 'Living to Work'.
27.  My first organized race was a 1/2 mile 'kids run' when I was in 2nd grade.
28.  They misspelled my name in the 'kids run' results sheet as 'Eric Bugstrom'.  Jerks.
29.  I got my 'bark-n-sniffer' Bailey from the Humane Society back in 2001.  She's the shizzle.

30.  As I write this, she's curled up in a ball on the sofa chasing bunnies in her sleep.  It's adorable.
31.  I once saw her catch a real-life baby bunny and eat it whole.  It was disturbing.
32.  I've been slowly losing my hair since my early 20s.
33.  I'll never wear a comb-over, or a toupee or get hair plugs.  If bald is good enough for my Grandpa, then it's good enough for me.
34.  I'm a Christian - which is why you won't find a lot of naughty language in my blog.
35.  I figure religion is kinda like genitals (just go with me on this one).  I like mine.  I'm proud of mine.  I'll be happy to talk about mine.  But, I'm not going to whip it out in public and wave it around just to taunt you, and I certainly won't try to shove it down your throat.
36.  I sometimes need to think a little longer before I say something inappropriate when I'm 'just trying to be funny'.
37.  I'm not a morning person.  Over 90% of my workouts last year started after 12pm.
38.  I once spent a J-term in college traveling through Greece and Turkey; two absolutely beautiful countries.
39.  I should have thought twice before eating Turkish meatballs from a street vendor.
40.  Having food poisoning in Istanbul is no fun.
41.  It is entirely possible to poop and barf at the same time.
42.  I kinda wish I hadn't told you that last one.
43.  I dig me some beer.  It's the most delicious social lubricant known to man.
44.  I'll take ales over lagers though, thankyouverymuch.
45.  I stay away from hard liquor.  Nothing good can come from me with a shot glass.
46.  When I was born, all of my grandparents and great-grandparents were still living.
47.  I have memories of all but 1 of them. 
48.  Both my parents and my wife's parents are divorced, and our dads remarried.  Yes.  I have 4 moms.
49.  I've nick-named them 'New Mom', 'Florida Mom', 'Fun Mom', and of course 'Classic Mom'.
50.  Moms love me. 
51.  I've read every major work by Stephen King.
52.  My dad can kick my butt at Call of Duty.
53.  I can destroy my dad at Guitar Hero.
54.  Karate for defense only.
55.  First learn item #54.
56.  Society would be in better shape if we all listened harder to Mr. Miyagi.
57.  One of my favorite places in the world is my family's cabin 'Up North'.
58.  My profile picture (where I'm wearing the black swim cap with goggles on my forehead) was taken on the floating raft at the cabin.
59.  'Up North' doesn't seem nearly as far away as it used to.
60.  I've had either a beard or goatee since the fall of 2002.
61.  I once shaved my face bare.  It upset The Wife so badly, she almost cried.
62.  The first time I shaved my head, I didn't tell The Wife until after the deed was done.  Her first words: 'Don't expect me to ever have sex with you again.'
63. She got over it.
64.  I know the difference between there, their and they're.  I also know the difference between your and you're, between affect and effect, and do my best to keep from ending my sentences with prepositions.  Three cheers for public education!
65.  I'd love to eventually qualify for Kona, but realize that my best chance at qualification will be to outlive my competition and race into my 70s and 80s.
66.  When triathlon has finally left me beaten and broken, I'll be cool with not running, and even not cycling, but I'll continue to swim until they have to haul my lifeless body out of the pool.
67.  I figure I'll eventually be that quasi-creepy old dude at the gym who still tries to squeeze his wrinkled bod into a Speedo.
68.  Screw Superman, Batman and Spidey.  If I could be any superhero, I'd be The Flash.



69.  If I ever get a disc wheel, I'm putting The Flash's logo on it.
70.  I close and lock the door every time I go to the bathroom, even when I'm home alone.
71.  I try to take control of the kitchen whenever I visit a friend's or relative's home.  They think I'm being nice by helping out, but really I'm just a control freak when it comes to food.
72.  I have never changed a diaper (on myself or anyone else).
73.  I've had asthma since I was young. 
74.  I'm extremely allergic to cats.
75.  Even if I wasn't allergic to cats, I still wouldn't trust them.  If God had made them any bigger, I'm pretty sure cats would eat their owners while they slept.
76.  I absolutely LOVE ice cream.  We had to stop buying ice cream by the gallon, because for me, 1 gallon = 3 servings.
77.  My ancestors came from a few different countries, but I identify myself most with my Swedish heritage.
78.  I visited Scandinavia for 3 weeks back in high school.  While I didn't get the chance to see the Norwegian fjords, I did see the Swedish Volvos.
79.  I understand that most of you probably didn't get that joke the first time your read it.  That's okay.  You're still cool.
80.  I'd move to Sweden in a heart beat, you know, if my wife, family, friends and job weren't all still here in the U.S.
81.  I read Moby Dick just to check it off my bucket list.
82.  It actually turned out to be a pretty good read.
83.  During the beginning of every one of my workouts, there's a moment when I question my sanity and consider going straight to my recliner to watch TV.
84.  My first real job was working as a janitor/maintenance guy at a funeral home.  I was there for 2 summers in high school and 1 in college.
85.  I don't like black licorice.  It shouldn't even be considered candy.  I can't stand when I think I'm about to eat a grape flavored jelly bean and it just turns out to be black licorice.  Blech!
86.  The Wife is much more into ball sports (baseball, football and basketball) than I am.  I pretend to like watching hours of basketball when I'd really rather be watching cartoons. 
87.  We both have a team in the same fantasy football league.
88.  Most of my friends agree that when your wife plays fantasy football it doubles her 'hot factor'. 
89.  I have a bet with one of our bridesmaids that The Wife and I wouldn't be parents until we had been married for 5 years.  The wager: 1 keg of beer.
90.  I've only got 7 months until I get my keg.
91.  I wouldn't be completely disappointed if I ended up losing the bet.
92.  My family has been pretty good about not pressuring The Wife and I to have kids - probably because I threatened to move to Sweden if they did.
93.  I hosted a radio show on my college radio station, WFPR, showcasing tunes from the '60s, '70s and '80s.  The name of the show?  'Music that doesn't suck'. 
94.  After training and racing for 2 years, I now have to wear my wedding ring on my index finger.
95.  I could wipe the floor with you in a game of Trivial Pursuit, and not in a nice way.  I go for the jugular.
96.  I just don't understand the appeal of vampires in popular culture.
97.  I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
98.  I put this list together over the course of 3 days.
99.  It was a lot harder than I was expecting to come up with 100 interesting things to say about myself.  Sigh.
100.  Last, but not least, I have no problem rocking the European Man Thong (but not in this country).
Mexico - 2010
Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I have already slept with 3 of your 4 moms.


    See you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 34-35 are FREAKING AWESOME! lol...I love the analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post!

    Firstly, Bailey is adorable.

    I agree with Katie, 34 and 35 are freaking awesome.

    41 and 42 made me laugh so hard I cried!

    I totally had to read number 78 again. And, you're right, I'm still cool. (Since I knew which version of you're to use and since I won my Fantasy Football league last year.)

    83 - I was so hoping that feeling would go away eventually.

    91 - Awwww

    ReplyDelete