I owe my wife a ton. She does a lot of the things that I just don't have time to do, or tolerates the fact that a lot of projects have been postponed until after the Ironman. She's great. Heck. She even rubs my neck and shoulders after a long day in the saddle, even when I still smell like sin. If that isn't love, then I don't know what is.
With that, here is a list (in no particular order) of the top signs that you're married to a triathlete:
1. You've run a load of dishes through the dish washer that was nothing but water bottles and caps.
2. You've had this conversation:
Spouse: Geez. How come your legs are smoother than mine?
Triathlete: Because I shave mine more often.
Spouse: Oh yeah.
3. If you try to *ahem* 'have relations' before a race, they quote Mickey from the movie Rocky: "Women weaken leeeegggss."
4. Their car smells like a high school locker room.
5. You've gone to REI with a 'grocery list'.
6. They've put off an oil change so that they can save up money for new bike parts.
7. They have a closet full of the same running shoe model - purchased in 3-6 month intervals.
8. They try to talk you into waking up with them before 5am so you can 'cheer them on' at a race, and then wonder why you want to stop for coffee on the way to the event.
9. The best part of their day is uploading their training data.
10. You've learned to stop seeing at meals as delicious food, and started seeing them as protein, carbs, fats and nutrients.
11. They can watch Old Yeller without batting an eye, but tear up when they watch Ironman race clips on YouTube.
12. One or both of you have put off major life decisions, such as going back to school, changing jobs, or starting a family until after the 'next big race'.
13. They say 'I love you' more often than usual so they can soften you up so you'll allow them to spend 'just a couple more hours' on the road or in the pool.
Feel free to drop a note in the 'comments' section to add your own items to the list.
As of tomorrow, it will be 1 month until Ironman Wisconsin. I've got a few fun posts planned, so stay tuned.