Monday, April 12, 2010

20 Weeks to Go

Today was a big step for me in Ironman training.  I officially started the Beginner training program from beginnertriathlete.com.  It's a 20-week program designed for first time attempts at this distance.  In all honesty, I've put in enough training time in the last year and a half, that the Intermediate program may be more appropriate.  In particular, the swimming and cycling distances seem shorter than how I trained last year. 

My plan is to stick with the Beginner program for now and re-assess every 3-4 weeks to see if I need to kick it up a notch. The first big test will be the Liberty 1/2 Ironman in June.  Last year at the Square Lake 1/2 Ironman, I had MAJOR issues on the run, especially with cramping in my quads.  If the Beginner plan works, then I'll be expecting improved results in the running leg, even if it means holding back some on the cycling leg. 

For now, it'll have to be about getting my butt out there and doing the work.  Which, as I found out today, is easier said than done.  The plan told me that today was to be 45 minute run and some work in the pool.  Well, some obligations after work took away the time for a swim, and I was just able to finish the 45 minute run as the sun was setting.

It'll be interesting to see how my schedule shakes out in the coming weeks.  Training may turn out to be the easy part.  It's dealing with all of life's other obligations that will be the REAL work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment