Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Jesus!

Christmas is a holiday that means all kinds of things to all kinds of people.  For some, it's about family, or a vacation from work, or for some (let's be honest now) it's about opening the presents. 

Regardless of your religious beliefs, I think we can all admit that the origin of Christmas is a celebration of Jesus Christ's birth.  Yeah, yeah - I know that early Christians adopted the Winter Solstice celebration from pagans as their time of year to celebrate, but I'm not here to argue religious history. 

I'm also not here to convert anybody.  I know what I believe.  What you believe is your own business.  But, when it came down to it, Jesus was about two things: 1 - Love God; 2 - Love your neighbor. Again, whether you believe in God is your own business, but I think we all can agree that the world could use a little more of the whole 'Love Your Neighbor' thing. 

So, by now, you're probably thinking "Well, that's great.  What's your point?"  Okay, okay.  My point is this:  When someone we know has a birthday, we give them presents.  So, when Jesus has a birthday, shouldn't we give him some presents too?  Ahh, but here's the rub: how do you give a present to a man that was all about 'loving your neighbor'?

Just a little food for thought


Merry Christmas to you and yours.  Have a blessed holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment