Monday, March 7, 2011

My Body Hates Me, and....an Explanation

I've really been looking forward to this week.  I'm scheduled to start my 20-week plan today.  Unfortunately, my body had other plans and decided to smack me around with a postnasal drip for the last couple of days.  Sure, it wasn't as bad as a full-on flu bug, but it jacked up my sleep schedule and and just made me feel plain old gross for the weekend.  So, instead of hitting the ground running  with a swim and a run today, I stayed home and caught up on reruns of The Simpsons.

Is it frustrating?  Yeah, I suppose so.  But, at this point I'd rather delay the training by a day or two than go half-assedly into workouts and end up hating myself with more than 95% of my training left to go.  So, what's the plan for the next few days?  Well, I'll stay out of the pool for the next couple of days.  The chlorine has a tendency to give me runny noses, and I'd rather not 'poke the bear in the zoo' when it comes to adding more gunk to my head.  Tomorrow will be a nice, easy spin to get my legs and lungs stretched out.  Then, on Wednesday, I'll ease into running again. 

It's not the way I was hoping to start things out, but it's a long season.  I'll have plenty of time to get some mega-miles in between now and my 'A' race in July (let alone by October for the Twin Cities Marathon).

On a more serious note, I want to clarify something about yesterday's post.  Namely, items #34 and #35.  Go ahead, take a quick look.  I'll wait.

Okay, you're back?  Good.  What I want to clarify is the difference between God (or in my case, Jesus) and religion.  God is great, perfect and gave us the Bible to teach us how to go about our business.  He blessed me with the ability to swim, bike and run (and blog), and to get into all kinds of crazy adventures from Iowa to Istanbul.  He also gave us Jesus, who, among other things, taught two basic rules: 1-Love God, 2-Love Others.  I can get on board with that.

Religion, on the other hand, isn't perfect.  It was created by people.  Since people are inherently flawed, so is religion.  Does that mean that I think churches are bad?  Heck no.  They do a lot of good.  They bring people together and give us a sense of community.  Many also help to feed and clothe the poor.  I just question when people start to put their faith in their church, or their religion, rather than in God, where it belongs.  Oh, and what I REALLY have a problem with, is when people use religion to do and say things that have nothing to do with loving God or loving others.  Then, they're just being jerk-faces.

Thanks for letting me clarify.  My Mom (Classic Mom) reads this blog, and I wouldn't want her to think that she raised a blasphemer.  I won't get preachy very often.  After all, this is supposed to be a place to talk about training, racing, eating, and wearing multi-colored banana-hammocks in public.

Hi Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment