Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Long-Overdue Vacation

Everyone deserves a break, and mine was last week.  The Wife and I, along with 8 of our closest friends, headed down to Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

We went riiiiiight there - under the first 'n' in Cancun.

Can't quite see it?  Okay.  Here's a closer look.
The red dot?  That's our room.  The yellow dot?  That's the pool bar - AKA 'Home Base'.  
That big blue thing?  The Caribbean Sea.  Not too shabby.

Here are a few other photos from the week.

 The pool - with bar.  So. Many. Prune. Hands.

The Wife hanging out on the resort grounds.  OOOhhh.  Purdy. 

Chairs placed around the resort grounds that are eerily reminiscent of the 
old Saturday Night Live commercial for the 'Love Toilet'.

Enjoying the walk from our hotel to downtown Playa del Carmen.  I would swim the same trip (about 2 miles round trip) later in the week as one of my few 'official' workouts.

Proof that Playa del Carmen is, in fact, the perfect place to live.


Now, you may be thinking 'That sounds like fun.  But, how did the training go?'  Well.  If you count 'general frolicking' as a workout, then put me down for about 40-50 hours of training.  That'll include bouncing up and down with the ocean waves, laps around the pool and the occasional chicken fight.  However, as far as focused workouts go, I only had about 4 hours worth.  That includes a treadmill run and some open water swims up and down the coast.

Honestly, it wasn't my best week.  I know that there's a little bit of wiggle room with the training plan, and taking a day off from time to time won't do too much damage.  But, this is a critical time in my training and I hope that this week off doesn't greatly impact my fitness.

But hey.  The Wife and I haven't had an honest-to-goodness vacation together since our honeymoon.  I'll gladly sacrifice a week of training for good times like that.

The only bad news is that I seem to have come down with a case of the flu since returning from our trip.  So far, it's taken 2 days  from my training this week.  I'm hoping to get back in the saddle tomorrow.  Then it'll be time to kick it into high gear this weekend with a couple hard-core bricks.



No comments:

Post a Comment