Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting Creative with Scheduling

Well, I'm half way through the week and am finding that it's going to take a little creativity to get all of my workouts in.  According to the plan, I'll be training for a hair over 11 hours this week, and the time dedication will keep climbing through August into the 18 hour range.

On Monday, I just had a swim workout,  but my wife and I also had a meeting to get to at 6:00pm.  Making this work involved having my wife drop me off at work in the morning, me hitting the pool immediately after work, her picking me up at the gym and then racing through rush hour traffic.  Blech.

On Tuesday, the plan called for a 45 minute run and a swim workout.  However, I was helping to host the Tuesday Night Time Trial from 6pm to 8:30.  Okaaaay.  So I again raced through rush our traffic from Edina out to Maple Plain to squeeze in that run.  Then I got to be the pace car at the time.  Okay, that WAS kinda fun.  I mean, I got to drive down the county roads in front of the cyclists with my hazards flashing and one of those cigarette-lighter-powered-spinning-light-thingys on my roof.  Nice.  After the races, I zipped over to the gym to squeeze in that swim workout, and finally made it home at around 10pm.  Ooofff.

Tonight (Wednesday) the plan was to do a long swim, followed by a bike ride over in Eden Prairie with my homies at the Twin Cities Spoke.  I hit the pool for the 3rd time in 3 days and did a warmup, a nice set of 2500 yards (41:10 = 1:38 per 100 yards - sweet!) and a cooldown.  Then I raced across town (again) for the 6pm ride.  Thankfully, this was a 'recovery ride' so I didn't have to throw down a lot of effort, just glide along.

Tomorrow calls for 90 minutes of cycling and an hour of running.  I'll try to commute to and from work to get in the 90 minute ride.  Then, there's only the 60 minutes of pounding pavement before the day is done. 

Needless to say, this whole training thing is still a work in progress.  I'm hoping that the next few weeks will get easier and I'll be able to fall into a more predictable routine as I roll through June and July.

For my next post, I'm planning to do my first review.  It'll be a write up of my Speedo Endurance training shorts.  Hopefully, you're just as excited as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment