Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today was a special day for my mom.  She celebrated her [year removed to protect the innocent] birthday.  She lives and works up at Covenant Pines Bible Camp in McGregor, MN - about 2 1/2 hours outside of town.  To mark the occasion, I took the day off of work and headed up to surprise her at camp.

She didn't want to make a big deal out of it.  Yeah.  Like THAT'S going to stop me from drawing attention to her.

First, I called her by cell from the parking lot and proceeded to sneak into the office and scare the stuffing out of her - in a good way.  Pretty soon after that, it was time for lunch, so we headed over to the dining hall.  It was here that we got all the campers to sing her 'Happy Birthday' while she paraded around the room.

After lunch, we strolled over to check the camp mailbox, where she found a package from my Uncle Dave.
That Dave's a funny guy.

Then we found another care package addressed to her from my sister and her husband.
Flowers addressed to 'Kathy Birkstorm'.  Eh.  Close enough.

We walked around camp for a little while, chatted, checked out what the campers were up to and spoke with the staff.  Good stuff.  Then, we headed back to the camp office where we dug into my birthday present for her - a big ol' ice cream cake from Dairy Queen.
I know what you're thinking.  No. We did not use the paper cutter to slice the cake.

After the cake I had to get ready to hit the road.  So I gave her a hug and snapped one last photo before heading back to town.
 One last mug for the camera before taking off.

It was a good day - a heckuva lot better than a long day at work.  Happy birthday mom!

You'll also notice that I didn't mention anything about my training for the last couple of days.  I'll post shortly about the less-than-enjoyable recovery process following last weekend's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment